Our Stories

Name

James and Isabella Stevenson

Plot

X000

Birth

Death

1922

Links

Listing Category

Listing Details

Main Image

Story

October 1887, a Miss Emily Pearce, who had a burden for the souls of railwaymen, began a work at Haymarket Station in the lobby of the Booking Hall. James Stevenson moved to a hall in Wheatfield Street. In November 1907, work began on the building of a new hall. On 29th February 1908 the Gorgie Railway Mission Hall in Wheatfield Terrace was opened. The hall seats four hundred people. Outreach, open – airs in factories, in yards, in streets, in back courts, in Railway Workshops and at the Mound. Services were also held in hospitals and poorhouses. Lantern lectures and Specials Missions were a prominent feature of the work. In 1922Mrs. Stevenson, continued as leader of the work until 1929. http://gorgiemissionchurch.com/history/